Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Power and Distance

I have been told power and distance are the two most important factors in Okinawan Kubudo. Why? If you look back the Okinawan's were devoid of weapons such as spears and swords.

If someone's got armor on, 3 foot razor blade, and you have a bo staff, it might be wise for you to keep your distance. Furthermore, dealing with an opponent who has armor on you had better hit hard.

Yet, there are two types of power; shoulder and hip power. Power that comes from the shoulder's versus the hips. One thing that I found interesting, is that Matayoshi studied chinese boxing as well as chinese acupuncture.

One thing I have heard is that some of I have studied are Tai Chish. Where as other's are hard. Perhaps this was by design. One thing on my research is that the system was put together for spiritual, mental, and physical development.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home